Photo By Aaron Amat at Shutterstock
In McKinney, TX air conditioning is not an option. Some of us have units that run all year long, day and night, and with hardly any rest. Hey, if our hearts can beat at the same rhythm our whole lives, why can’t an air conditioning unit keep humming away for the duration of its warranty and beyond?
It’s because these machines and systems inevitably break if not maintained properly. However, not every air conditioning problem is a complete catastrophe.
K&S Heating and Air have decades of experience serving the McKinney, TX area with gold-standard HVAC services ranging from installation to maintenance to emergency air conditioning repair.
The following list outlines three levels of service we provide for all McKinney, TX customers plus a few suggestions about how you can make budget-friendly decisions around your air conditioning repair.
At K&S Heating and Air, we are big believers in preventative maintenance over costly air conditioning repair. Having a professional HVAC technician look over your heating and cooling systems once per year could save you thousands in emergency visits and repairs.
The goal of preventative maintenance is to keep your HVAC system running smoothly all year long with no surprise downtime and no unexpectedly large bills due to an inefficient system. It’s far too easy to forget about your air conditioning unit and neglect maintenance but many service providers will offer an option that allows customers to subscribe to annual maintenance visits, with additional perks for being a loyal customer. Those perks can include discounts on air conditioning repair, free emergency service visits, and additional maintenance for the fireplace or furnace. If you’re the type who doesn’t let a vehicle maintenance check or dentist visit become overdue, then it would be a shame to be punished for taking a different attitude toward your air conditioner. Even the best air conditioners and HVAC systems break down after a while, and a warranty won’t save you if you neglect it’s annual needs. Calibrating the thermostat and changing the filter is your job but the rest should be put in the hands of a professional. An essential part of preventative maintenance is hiring a contractor with the right skills and experience for the job.
Have you scheduled your annual HVAC system maintenance in the past 12 months? You might shrug off it off as just an unnecessary expense, but maintaining a home’s air conditioning unit is more important than you think. Once you learn the hard way how much money skipping annual HVAC system maintenance can cost, you’ll never put it off again.
- Reduced heating and cooling costs.
- Improved equipment efficiency.
- Extended equipment life.
- Improved dependability.
- Proper and safe equipment operation.
Plus, reduce the incidence of repairs by keeping on top of annual maintenance.
Air Conditioning Repair
Here are some of the common air conditioning repair problems we hear from homeowners each day.
- Check that the thermostat is correctly calibrated, and if you don’t have a programmable thermostat, you may want to consider having one installed.
- Loose electrical connections are dangerous and can cause improper operation that shortens the equipment’s lifespan. A technician will tighten these up and measure voltage and current on equipment motors.
- Lack of lubrication causes high amounts of friction in the system. An HVAC tech will lubricate all necessary parts each year to save them from breaking down due to overheating.
- HVAC units produce condensate when they operate. During periods of high usage, like the summer, the drain pan may overflow and cause water damage to the machine or your home if a technician doesn’t check and clean it.
- The start cycle, operation and shut-off sequence of an air conditioning system should occur in a particular fashion but if it doesn’t your technician should spot this and make this fairly rudimentary air conditioning repair.
- Blower issues caused by blockage can decrease equipment efficiency, so adjustments to the system airflow may be an annual occurrence.
- Soiled cooling coils will eventually degrade the efficiency of the air conditioning system and make the equipment run longer. Keeping the coils clean is an integral part of air conditioning repair that could help to lower energy bills and prolong the lifetime of your equipment.
- If the air conditioner was charged too high during its installation, the system could develop a leak early on and you could be paying much more than necessary to cool your home.
- Poor gas or oil connections are a fire hazard that can also cause health problems if fumes permeate your home and tightening these is a typical repair.
- Incorrect pressure, a dirty burner can result in unsafe and improper burner operation. Adjusting the pressure and cleaning a dirty burner or a cracked heat exchanger can improve the function of an air conditioner and lower your heating bills, but if the heat exchanger is cracked, you’ll likely need to purchase a new furnace.
When air conditioning repair isn’t enough to fix a system or you are noticing a steady rise in utilities each month even though your usage remains the same, it may be time for an air conditioner replacement.
Going through a hot McKinney, TX summer season without a top-notch air conditioning system makes no sense. Don’t torture yourself. The money you spend on a new air conditioning unit is an investment in your comfort and if you spend a lot of time at home, work from there, have an older parent living with you, or kids and pets, then functioning air conditioning in McKinney, TX is not a consideration—it is a necessity.
Replace your current unit with a robust, energy-efficient central air system that will take you from uncomfortable (verging on dangerous during a heat wave) and one you can savor.
Replacing your air conditioner with a new unit doesn’t have to be as scary or expensive as you think. Our in-home installation estimates are absolutely free. Ask us about the variety of different brands we care; we’re always happy to answer questions.