Photo By Photography By Tonelson
Anybody who lives in Garland, TX, knows all about long hot Texas summers. As the temperature rises, people will rely more on their air conditioning systems to keep cool. During these times people’s greatest concern is that their air conditioner will break down. The lack of cool air will mean that living conditions can become intolerable and hazardous very quickly without proper air conditioner repair. The risk of dehydration, heat exhaustion, and heatstroke will increase greatly.
It is important to find a reliable air conditioner repair service as quickly as possible. That is why people call K&S Heating and Air have assembled an expert and experienced team of technicians who can deal with any air conditioner repair on most models of air conditioners.
Most Common Air Conditioner Repair Problems
Air conditioner repair technicians are in high demand during the period running from the late spring to the late summer. This is not surprising as this is a peak time for air conditioners to break down. We at K&S Heating and Air suggest that you have your air conditioner serviced before the summer starts. Not only will a maintenance service give you peace of mind, but it will be easier to book an appointment at a time to suit you.
Frost and Ice Forming on Evaporator Coils
Understanding what causes a breakdown will help you keep an eye out for any possible problems and avoid an expensive air conditioner repair. The most common sorts of problems are:
- When warm air is extracted from your home is blown over evaporator coils. The liquid coolant inside the coils will absorb the heat from the warm air and blow the cooler air back into your home. The first sign of a problem with the evaporator coils is that you notice frost and ice starting to form on them. This can happen for several reasons.
- Dirty air filters – to work efficiently the evaporator coils need a constant supply of warm air to be blowing over them. Dirty air filters will restrict that airflow, and they need to be cleaned or replaced regularly. Cleaner air filters will improve the air quality in your home by blocking dust particles from entering your home.
- Faulty Fan – any difficulties with the fan will also reduce the airflow over the evaporator coil and cause frost and ice to form.
- Low levels of coolant – each air conditioner is going to need an optimum level of coolant in it. Less coolant will mean less cooling effect, so less heat is going to be absorbed from the warm air allowing frost and ice to form.
- Dirt on the evaporator coil – any dirt will reduce the rate at which the coil and coolant absorb the heat from the warm air. This is because the dirt acts as an insulation layer, and so the coil needs to be cleaned periodically.
Regular service from K&S Heating and Air is a much more prudent choice than trying to fix complex machinery that may cause further damage or even break the unit. A word of caution, ignoring the frost and ice forming is a bad idea as eventually, the coil will freeze, and you will need to turn the air conditioner off to allow the coils to thaw. If this problem keeps occurring, then the air conditioner may break down and you will need an air conditioner repair from a trusted HVAC company in Garland, TX.
Low coolant levels will have a knock-on effect on the rest of the components in your air conditioner. We have already mentioned frost and ice forming on the evaporator coils, but other signs of a coolant leak include:
- You can hear a hissing noise – a hissing sound is usually a sign that you have a coolant leak and need an air conditioner repair.
- Your energy bills are climbing – a leak will reduce the amount of coolant in your unit, so there is less to absorb all the heat from the warm air. The other components in your air conditioner will have to work harder to maintain the temperature. If they are working harder, then they use more electricity and so your energy bills increase. The components will also get hotter, increasing the risk that they will burn out and need to be replaced during an air conditioner repair.
- Less cool airless coolant means less cool air. The air conditioner is unable to remove as much heat from the warm air as before.
- Increased humidity levels – as well as warmer air, being blown back into your home, it will be more humid as well. This is because warmer air contains more moisture than cold air.
- You need to call a technician from K&S Heating and Air to top up the coolant levels in your air conditioner and to fix any leak.
AC Drainage Problems
As the warm air is cooled it releases the moisture it contains and deposits it in the drip pan, it then flows outside your home through the AC drain line. If the drip pan or drain line becomes blocked for any reason your air conditioner may shut down.
Signs of a blockage are:
- Pools of water forming around your air conditioner – If the drain line or drip pan are blocked, the drip pan will fill up and overflow. Pools of water will be seen inside your air conditioner and on your floor. This will cause damage to your air conditioner and seeping into your wall and floors or create wet spots in your yard.
- Mold smells in your home – excess humidity will encourage the growth of mold or algae in the drip pan or drain line and could explain the smell of mold in your home. Therefore, they need to be cleaned regularly.
- Increased humidity in your home – any excess water will increase the humidity levels in your home.
- If your unit does shut down it may be worth checking whether the AC drain is blocked by debris, but be careful attempting to clear any blockages there could be dangerous chemicals mixed in.
Keeping Garland, TX Cool and Safe
Regular servicing from K&S Heating & Air deals with many of the issues highlighted above. But even a well-serviced air conditioner will break down occasionally. For this reason, we have our technicians available 24/7, to quickly respond to your air conditioner emergency. Whatever your air conditioner concerns please call us today.