Photo By Eva Blanco at istock
If you live in Rockwall, TX, you might not think that heating is that important. After all, you already live in a notably hot climate. However, when you do need heating, it can be really frustrating when your furnace won’t work.
Fortunately, if you are in need of a furnace repair service, K&S Heating and Air is there for you.
Common Issues That Would Necessitate Furnace Repair
There are several common reasons why someone might need furnace repair services. The following are some of them:
- Poor maintenance. When you have a furnace, you need to schedule annual maintenance and inspection sessions with professionals. These can prevent unexpected issues and breakdowns of the furnace. Additionally, they generally help the furnace run with more reliability and efficiency.
- Dirty filters. If you have an air filter that is clogged or dirty, this will diminish airflow, which will cause the furnace to have to work harder to circulate air. In some cases, if the filter is clogged, the limit switch can become damaged, and the fan won’t be able to run anymore.
- Wear and tear. Just like with any appliance, normal wear and tear can compromise the performance of the furnace. It can lead to airflow issues, overheating, and other problems that are related to heat control.
- Problems with pilot controller electric ignition. If you have a faulty pilot or ignition, your furnace may not be able to properly heat your residential or commercial space. If you have clogs, drafts, or thermocouple problems within the appliance, the pilot light might not be able to light up.
- Thermostat issues. If your thermostat is malfunctioning, the fan might not be able to work, and there could be problems with comfort levels.
- The furnace heats inadequately. If the furnace doesn’t heat your home in the house, this could mean that it’s the wrong size for the space. If it doesn’t heat your home at all, there could be issues with the power, thermostat setting, gas, or pilot light.
- Overly frequent cycling. If your furnace cycles between the on and off modes very frequently, this could indicate improper airflow, and a filter that is clogged, or a faulty thermostat setting.
- Continuously running blower. If you have a blower that is constantly running, there might be some sort of issue with the limit switch. In this case, you might need to bring in a repair professional to replace it.
- Excessive noise. If you’re hearing a lot of squeaking, rattling, and rumbling coming from your furnace, you should know that this is not normal. These sounds usually indicate some sort of mechanical problem, clogged burner issue, or reduction in airflow.
Of course, you should keep in mind that these are not the only problems that can result in you needing furnace repair services. Repair professionals can help you with a variety of issues related to heating, and often cooling as well.
Tips for Furnace Maintenance
While it is good to know that you have repair professionals that you can count on, prevention is always the best solution when it comes to furnace issues. The following are some things that you should do in order to preserve the health of your furnace:
- Change the air filters regularly. As you know, if an air filter is dirty, this can lead to various issues with your furnace. You should either clean or replace your air filters once every month. You should follow the directions from the manufacturer when you do this. If you need help, a furnace repair professional can give you guidance while you are doing this.
- Check the components of your furnace when it doesn’t seem to produce heat. You should check the battery level. In some furnace models, you just need to replace the battery, and it’ll start to produce heat again. Also, you should check the thermostat to make sure that the furnace is in heating mode. In some cases, you will need to check the circuit breaker and power supply. It is possible that the circuit breaker has tripped or blown a fuse. You also want to make sure that the power cord is properly plugged into an outlet.
- Minimize drafts. In some cases, drafts from the outdoors can cause issues with your pilot light. In this case, you might need to just close the doors or windows in the room.
- Keep up with maintenance. On an annual basis, either at the end of every summer or the beginning of every fall, a furnace repair professional should come to inspect and conduct maintenance on the furnace. This individual can get your furnace ready for cool weather that is coming up and address any problems that could otherwise lead to breakdowns or expensive repair issues when you are using it.
- Leave certain tasks to the professionals. There are certain furnace repair tasks that you will not be able to properly handle as a layperson. These include the following:
- Mechanical issues. If you have mechanical wear and tear on your furnace, a professional should address this. If you try on your own, you might end up voiding the warranty on your furnace or causing a bigger problem.
- Issues with natural gas or propane. If you think that there are problems with the gas feed or valve that are a result of some sort of problem with the gas pressure regulator, you should call a repair professional.
- Problems with ignition control or the pilot light. These issues are often the result of faulty electrical parts or clogged parts, so they should be left to furnace repair experts.
- Furnace installation. If you need to install a new furnace or replace your existing one, you should hire a contractor to do this. They can also help you figure out the right size and type of furnace for your residential or commercial space.
If you find yourself needing furnace repair services in Rockwall, TX, you should feel free to contact K&S Heating & Air. Whatever your issue with your furnace, there will be a professional here who will be able to come to your home and help you.